Monday, January 24, 2011

Organize #002: Know Your Herbs & Spices

Throwing out all those McCormick bottles (see previous blog) also meant getting rid of the usage guide included with the labels. If you want to use all those dried herbs and spices before they expire, you better know how to make the most of them. Fortunately, we have the internet to help us with our research (now don't we all love Google.com?!).


I made a list of all the significant herbs and spices, compiled all the data, and then printed everything on 3 sheets of A4 photo paper so that everything could be seen at a glance. I laminated them on my own laminating machine (which my 6-year-old daughter calls the "eliminating machine"), but if you need it done professionally, it would probably cost you around $2 per page. Lamination makes it sturdy and smudge-proof. You don't know how glad I am that I didn't skip this step -- I found lizard poop all over my list this morning (wiping it with a damp cloth made it squeaky clean again)!


For added convenience, cut up some strips of magnet (buy the ones that have adhesive already, usually found at a hardware store), stick them to the back of your list, and post it on your refrigerator. Ta-dah!


I must say my favorite spice is the mustard seed. Jesus made it famous in the Bible:


Matthew 17:20 "It was because you do not have enough faith," answered Jesus. "I assure you that if you have faith as big as a mustard seed, you can say to this hill, 'Go from here to there!' and it will go. You could do anything!"

A popular seed it is and rightly so! These tiny mustard seeds can do wonders to your cooking. Add 1/2 teaspoon to water when cooking carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, and asparagus. Add to meat, poultry, cheese, eggs, sauces, and gravies. I use this with Bragg's Liquid Aminos (in place of salt), black pepper, and brown sugar (no need to put MSG, or broth cubes that contain artificial flavors and colors). It's all natural, healthy, and it even tastes better.

Be adventurous in the kitchen. Use those herbs you've been keeping for so long! And don't forget to spice up your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment